Carnival, the world’s largest cruise line, is celebrating 50 years of fun-filled cruising and is capping the year off with the launch of its newest ship.
The aptly named Carnival Celebration is the second in the excel class of ships and will be based in Miami, sailing on eastern and western itineraries.
Like its sister ship Mardi Gras, this new ship continues the fun with plenty of onboard activities, lots of food and beverage options that will please cruisers of any age.
Here is what you need to know about the new Carnival Celebration.
Overview of Carnival Celebration
Currently being built by Meyer Turku in Finland, Carnival Celebration was floated out in February of this year, a major milestone in the construction process. It is the second ship in the excel class, with another ship, Carnival Jubilee, slated for 2023.
Carnival Celebration is very similar in design to Mardi Gras, Carnival’s largest ship to date. It will be the same size with a gross tonnage of 180,800 and will stretch 1,130 feet, plenty of space for its 5,375 guests and 1,735 crew. It too will be powered by liquefied natural gas (LNG), a key component of Carnival's plan to reduce emissions. Notably, Carnival was the first cruise company to launch an LNG powered ship in North America.
With this latest iteration, the cruise line has traded in the Mardi Gras theme for a more nostalgic viewpoint that celebrates the company's past. The Aquaria Bar repurposes glass murals from Carnival Victory. Tropicale Bar pays homage to Carnival's first custom built ship, a modern wonder during its hay day.
Building on the success of its sister ship, Carnival Celebration continues with six themed neighborhoods, full of great new restaurants, lounges and activities.
This neighborhood will definitely be the go-to spot for fun. The three-story atrium has floor to ceiling windows, 14-foot LED screens and 1,400 changing lights for the ultimate party atmosphere. It will host a variety of live entertainment with bars and dining venues such as Bonsai Sushi and Teppanyaki, Piano Bar 88 and a comedy club.
Summer Landing is a relaxing outdoor area, the truly best backyard BBQ experience. Perfectly paired with Guy Fiero's Pig & Anchor Smokehouse and Brewhouse, and a poolside bar, passengers can lounge all day long. There is also a Heroes Tribute Lounge to thank military personnel for their service.
Cruisers will love the South Pacific vibe of the Lido, which includes the two-level RedFrog Tiki Bar, and Street Eats with the best of international street food. To top it all off, there is 24 hours a day soft serve at Swirls.
This fun zone will wow guests with epic thrills, the return of BOLT rollercoaster, the largest Carnival waterpark to date and the SportSquare area with lots of activities like mini-golf, basketball, and a ropes course.
Details on other themed neighbors The Gateway and 820 Biscayne, are forthcoming.
Dining, Beverage and Entertainment
Carnival Celebration has food options for everyone and includes a great selection of options.
- 20+ dining options with celebrity chef partnerships
- Inclusive options such as celebrity chef Guy Fieri’s Guy’s Burger Joint and BBQ, Blue Iguana Cantina, Shaquille O’Neal’s Big Chicken
- Specialty dining venues – Chibang - Mexican/ Chinese fusion, seafood, Italian, teppanyaki and sushi, steakhouse, and smokehouse
- Plenty of lounges and bars including the Brewhouse and Havana Bar
- BOLT rollercoaster
- 6 pools + hot tubs
- Kids clubs
- Waterworks Park with Twister waterslide and splash zone
- Sports court for basketball, soccer and ropes course
- Mini Golf
- Dine in Movies
- Family Feud Live, the iconic game show
- Playlist productions
- Live entertainment
- Age based kids clubs
- Serenity - Adult only retreat with a pool and hot tubs
- Cloud 9 Spa
- Loft 19 resort style deck area with cabanas and infinity pool for suite guests
- Comedy Club and casino
- Fitness Center with cycling studio
- Jogging track
Tons of cabin options
Carnival describes their cabins as guest centric with a fresh new look. They have upgraded the lighting, added more storage and plenty of USB ports so everyone can recharge their devices without a battle.
Not only does Carnival Celebration have the traditional standard interior, ocean view, balcony and suites, but they have also uniquely designed rooms with specials perks:
- Havana Staterooms and Suites located near the exclusive Havana Bar and Pool. This 12 and over area features colorful designs with Cuban artwork.
- Cloud 9 Spa Staterooms and Suites have soothing cabin décor, and welcoming touches such as robes, slippers and premium toiletries. These cabins include unlimited access to thermal suites and free fitness classes.
- Great for families, the Family Harbor Staterooms and Suites are nautically themed and have access to the Family Harbor Lounge that provides breakfast, snacks throughout the day, family movies and board games. Baby sitting is available in the evening.
Carnival Celebration Sailings
The ship will begin its career on November 6th with a 14 day transatlantic crossing from Southampton, England. This trip will allow guests to visit the delights of Spain, Portugal and the Canary Islands.
The two week voyage will offer unique activities, the opportunity to sample local cuisine and enjoy entertainment. Guests will be treated to a variety of cultural opportunities, along with cooking, arts and crafts.
Carnival Celebration will then settle into its new home in Miami. Caribbean itineraries include:
- Numerous 5, 6, 7 and 8 day eastern Caribbean sailings visiting ports such as Grand Turk, San Juan, St Maarten, St. Thomas and the Dominican Republic.
- 6 and 7 day western Caribbean sailings to Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico and Mahogany Bay, Roatan
- 8 Day Southern Caribbean itinerary which includes port stops in Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao.