Costa Cruises restarts sailings in the Mediterranean
Costa Cruises restarted its cruise operations on Sunday, becoming the first Carnival Corporation cruise line to restart cruising.
The Costa Deliziosa sailed from Trieste, Italy and began a 7-night cruise that visits only ports in Italy with Italian passengers onboard.
Costa joins a few other cruise lines that have been able to resume cruises in Europe, including MSC Cruises.
In order to keep passengers safe from COVID-19, a variety of new protocols have been added including:
- COVID-19 swab testing for all guests and crew
- Temperature screening
- Tours of destinations on protected excursions
- Physical distancing thanks partly to a reduction in the number of passengers
- New ways of enjoying shipboard amenities and services
- Enhanced sanitization
- Increased health care facilities
On September 19, Costa Diadema will also be back in service, departing from Genoa, with another two ships gradually due to resume operations from October.